The most popular of our workshops, Story Telling Through Photographs, is a hands on photography experience. We encourage interpretation and creativity no matter what type of camera you use.
Participants will need to bring with them;
Five of their photographs for discussion on a memory stick or laptop.
One Digital Camera (quality and size not important) or Smart phone with camera.
One laptop if possible.
Adobe Bridge and Adobe Photoshop (CS5) will be used for the training – if participants have this on their laptops it would be good to bring along.
- Understand the basics of how to tell a story through pictures. The trainer will do this through showing examples of their own work in different situations
- Introduction to Adobe Bridge (an archiving and captioning program) and Adobe Photoshop (for retouching images). Please note that the Photoshop session will be limited due to time constraints but the trainer will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have
- How to caption and send an image ready for editorial use; size, resolution and format
- Learn to pitch a photo story to the media
- Discuss the relationship between media and photography; the role of wire services like AP, Reuters, AFP, and EPA and how to file photographs as press handouts to the wires
- Talk through five images of each photographer and discuss how they could be improved
- Participants will be asked to shoot a short photo story based on lessons learnt. This will take between one and two hours. They will then download all images with captions and edit their photos into a short story with the help of the trainer
- Composition and Use of Light; through showing examples of photographers work and diagrams the trainer will outline
- Multimedia – learn how different techniques can be used to tell more powerful photo stories using audio recordings, music and graphics
2 day NGO Photography Course
– 500 USD per person
Dates: 17th – 18th January 2017
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Learn to tell humanitarian stories through photos for media, NGOs, charities and corporate social responsibility programmes, with Kate Holt.
"I was really inspired by this course. The sessions were easy to understand and the trainer really knew what she was talking about. I would absolutely recommend this workshop."Mary-Sanyu Osire,
""This workshop was fantastic. The practical sessions were really useful and the use of multimedia to teach was excellent.""Yussuf Osman,
""I loved the practical aspect of this training session. It was great to put the ideas we were taught into practice over the two days.""Cyprine Cheptepkeny,
""This workshop was excellent. It covered a wide variety of very useful areas and the trainer was well versed in the needs of NGOs.""Suzy Price,